Catholic Church of Montreal > News > Topics > Saint Marguerite d'Youville

Saint Marguerite d'Youville: Mother, widow, entrepreneur and foundress

The Sisters of Charity of Montreal, more commonly known as the Grey Nuns, will leave their motherhouse for good in 2011. The remains of their foundress, Saint Marguerite d'Youville, have rested in the motherhouse chapel since the time of her death in 1771.

Read more …

The Grey Nuns in solidarity with today's poor

King Louis XV was the first to legally recognize the Sisters of Charity of Montreal. He signed the letters patent to this effect June 3, 1753, and entrusted the community founded by Marguerite d'Youville and her companions to the administration of the then-General Hospital of Montreal. In 1755, Bishop Henri-Marie de Pontbriand approved the new community in the name of the Church.

Read more …